Welcome to the Department of Surgery at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine
It is a great honor and privilege to serve as Chair of the UK Department of Surgery. We are proud to work in Kentucky’s #1 ranked hospital, UK HealthCare’s Albert B. Chandler Hospital, with several of our surgical services ranked nationally and rated as high performing by US News and World Report. In research, the Department of Surgery ranks among the top academic institutions for funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Our faculty are respected leaders on the national and international stage for their contributions to the advancement of clinical care, surgical education, research, and innovations in medical technology. Delivering the best possible patient care is the Department of Surgery’s foremost priority and influences our every endeavor.
The mission of the UK Department of Surgery is built upon seven foundational pillars:
- Optimal patient care: excellence in clinical patient care,
- Education: preparing the next generation of surgeons,
- Research: contribute to scientific advancement in surgery,
- Innovation: Pursue collaborative partnerships to create new techniques, devices and processes to advance knowledge.
- Leadership and Professional Development: fostering integrity, respect, networking, federal and state legislation, healthcare administration, and relationship building,
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusivity: Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of healthcare,
- Global Surgery: Develop a global perspective on the surgical needs of patients and a respect for their culture and values.
The Department is composed of 11 divisions: Acute Care, Trauma, and Surgical Critical Care; Cardiothoracic Surgery; Colon and Rectal Surgery; General, Endocrine, and Metabolic Surgery (GEMS); Pediatric Surgery; Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery; Surgical Oncology; Transplantation; Vascular and Endovascular Surgery; Health Outcomes and Optimal Patients Services (HOOPS); and the Division of Research.
Our diverse faculty are leaders in several of UK Healthcare’s nationally recognized multidisciplinary centers, including the NCI-designated Markey Cancer Center, the Gill Heart and Vascular Institute, The UK Transplant Center, and the Saha Cardiovascular Research Institute.
The Department of Surgery applies the pioneering surgical education assessment, The Zwisch Scale, developed by former department chair and alum, Dr. Joseph Zwischenberger, in the education and training of new surgeons in our residency and fellowship programs.
- Cardiothoracic Surgery,
- Colon and Rectal Surgery,
- Hand Surgery,
- Surgical Critical Care,
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgery.
Medical students receive intense experience in surgery basics through third and fourth year clerkships.
The Center for Advanced Training & Simulation (CATS) Laboratory provides learners with an environment that duplicates laparoscopic set ups they will encounter in operating rooms. Residents have access to a broad range of open and endoscopic surgical exercises throughout their program. The laboratory is also equipped with audio and video production facilities to demonstrate and narrate advanced surgical procedures for training purposes.
There is an absolute determination on the part of our faculty and staff to innovate and build upon our success; set and exceed national benchmarks; recruit from an increasingly diverse population of learners and faculty; and remain always on the cutting edge of global health care.
Please browse our pages for information and news about our faculty, resident and fellowship training programs, and NIH funded research.
Twitter link: @UKSurgery.