APPLICATION TO GENERAL SURGERY RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Duration of Training
Number of Positions Per Year
Categorical General Surgery Resident
Preliminary Surgery Resident
(Continuing COVID-19 social distancing measures may require
General Surgery Resident interviews to be virtual.)
Categorical Interview Dates
The Preliminary Interview Date will be held in January 2022; a specific date is to be determined.
- USMLE scores – mandatory pass on first attempt*
- USMLE Part 1
- USMLE Part 2
- (NOTE: If your Part 2 score is delayed due to COVID-19, please provide scores as soon as possible.)
- Electronic Application (ERAS)
- Medical School Transcript
- MSPE (Dean's Letter)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
- E-mail address – we will respond to all questions via e-mail
- Recent medical school graduate (e.g., within the past four years)
- Our institution sponsors the J1 Visa
- No United States experience required for International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
*USMLE transcripts are required. Please request your official transcripts from NBME and upload them with your ERAS application.
All materials must be submitted electronically.
Applications are not considered if any of the above requirements are missing/incomplete.
Recruitment Events Timeline
(Recruitment events are based on the assumption
of continuing COVID-19 social distancing measures.)
On the Friday evenings prior to the interview dates, the General Surgery Residency program will sponsor a virtual "meet and greet" between applicants and residents from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Although optional, applicants are highly encouraged to participate. The on-line event gives applicants an opportunity to meet current residents in as casual a setting as possible. Applicants' spouses are welcome to attend. No faculty will attend the meet and greet session.
Virtual interviews will begin on Saturday morning (a schedule will be announced). After a brief program introduction from Dr. Sandra Beck, General Surgery Residency Program Director, virtual interviews will commence. At the conclusion of the interview sessions, applicants may participate in an on-line tour of UK HealthCare's facilities.
Please direct any questions and comments to our Program Coordinator:
GME Program Coordinator
Division of General Surgery
For information about the Lexington area, accommodations, attractions, and dining, see www.visitlex.com