Director: Scott Roth, MD Associate Director: Joseph A. Iocono, MD
Manager: Michael Jax
The Center for Advanced Training and Simulation provides surgery students in their M3 Clerkship with a training environment that duplicates laparoscopic set ups they will encounter in the operating rooms. A broad range of laparoscopic skills exercises are offered here. As part of the clerkship you will attend a 30 degree training workshop in the lab and a surgical knot tying and suturing training session.
During the clerkship students have the opportunity to complete the optional skills curriculum for extra credit. The extra credit curriculum can be completed at any time when the lab is open and does not have to be completed in one visit to the lab. Lab hours are 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
We plan for the curriculum to constantly evolve so we encourage you to submit comments or suggestions you believe would improve the quality of our program.
Technical Services provided at the Center for Advanced Training and Simulation.
- Classes for training in the use of 30 degree laparoscope
- Surgical knot tying training sessions
- Advanced techniques for basic surgical instruments introduced by Surgery Department Chairman, Dr. Joseph B. Zwischenberger
- Instructional video from Dr. Joseph Iocono in knot tying and basic suturing
- All equipment that is provided for residents is also available for use by medical students
3rd Year Medical Student Surgery Skills
Name (Please Print):
60 seconds each way
R to L
L to R
5 pegs in 4:00 minutes
4:00 minutes each way
R to L
L to R
30° Scope Drill*
5 targets in 70 seconds
1 inch in 6 minutes
Separate/Reattach Velcro in
Circle Cut (Open)
Cut out 2 circles in 2:00 minutes
* Skill must be completed correctly 2 consecutive times and then once again with instructor present
- You must complete 5 of the 7 skills to earn the 5 points for this surgical skills activity.