Director: Scott Roth, MD
Manager: Michael Jax
The Center for Advanced Training and Simulation provides surgery residents with a training environment that duplicates laparoscopic set ups they will encounter in the operating rooms. A broad range of laparoscopic skills exercises are offered here. We also provide didactic materials associated with the curriculum to our residents at their initial orientation session. All materials are supplied either online using Canvas, or in the Lab.
The first component of the junior resident curriculum (PGY-1 and PGY-2) is completion of basic laparoscopic skills exercises that have been chosen by the Director of the Center for Advanced Training and Simulation. These sessions are held on a walk-in basis in the training laboratory to be compliant with each resident's schedule. Lab hours are 8:30am to 5:30pm, Monday through Friday.
The final component of the junior resident curriculum includes study and comprehension of the more common MIS procedures. Instruction and lecture are provided by Narrated Teaching Cases (NTCs) via Canvas and supplied readings.
We plan for the curriculum to constantly evolve so we encourage you to submit comments or suggestions you believe would improve the quality of our program.
Resources available at the Center for Advanced Training and Simulation
- Skill stations comprised of a trainer box, laparoscope support arm, 30 degree 10 mm laparoscope, fiber-optic light source, high-resolution flat-panel monitor.
- Rapid setup modules for all basic skills set.
- Open suturing and knot tying models for skin, vascular anastamosis and fascia
- Online Basic Surgical skills training.
- Da Vinci surgical system for practicing basic skills for robotic assist surgeries.
- Multiple copies of skills models to support each required laparoscopic exercise.
- A full array of laparoscopic instruments including Maryland dissectors, laparoscopic scissors, graspers, clip appliers, staplers, and needle drivers.
- Large viewing areas for watching procedures
- Video editing systems featuring Adobe Premiere software and the entire Adobe Creative Suite.
- Sound dubbing and narration equipment.
- 3D modeling software including, Autodesk Fusion 360, Slicer, Meshmixer, etc.
- Makerbot Replicator 2X 3D printer, printing with ABS plastic.
Skills (Surgery PGY-1)
Cannulation, Peg Board, Peg Pass, Rope Pass, Curve of the Needle, Appropriate Bite, 30 degree scope drill, Endoloop drill
Skills (Surgery PGY-2)
Suturing Level 1, Clip Applier Exercise, Swim Move, Cutting and Extraction, Cannulation Level 2a, Cannulation Level 2b, Peg Board Level 2a, Peg Board Level 2b, Endostitch Interrupted, Endostitch Running
Skills (Surgery PGY-3)
Veress Needle & 1st Trocar Placement, Crura Closure, Fundoplication, Enclosed Suturing, Port Closure, FLS Overview & Skills
Skills (Surgery PGY-4)
'How big is that hole?, Suturing in Vegas, 'Bag that bladder, Pulp Fiction, Try it with Harmony
Skills (OB/GYN PGY-1)
Cannulation, Peg Board, Peg Pass, Rope Pass, Curve of the Needle, Appropriate Bite, LAP VR-Tubal Occlusion
Skills (OB/GYN PGY-2)
Cannulation Level 2, Peg Board Level 2, Peg Pass Level 2, Circle of Fire Needle Drill, Suturing Level 1, Swim Move, LAP VR-Ectopic Pregnancy, LAP VR-Salpingo-Oophorect
Skills (OB/GYN PGY-3)
Suturing Level 2, Clip Applier Exercise, Cutting and Extraction, Endostitch Level 1 on Trainer, Endostitch Level 2 on Trainer, Hyseroscopy Simulator, LAP VR - Tubal Occlusion, LAP VR - Ectopic Pregnancy, LAP VR - Salpingo-Oophrect
Skills (OB/GYN PGY-4)
Needle Driver on TLH Sim, Endostitch on TLH Sim, Hysteroscopy Simulator, LAP VR - Tubal Occlusion, LAP VR - Ectopic Pregnancy, LAP VR - Salpingo Oophorect