The five-year General Surgery Categorical position is for individuals who want to complete training in general surgery.
We also offer one-year Preliminary Surgery positions.
If You Wish To Pursue A Surgical Subspecialty, You Need To Apply To That Subspecialty.
|Positions Offered||NRMP Code|
|Five-Year Categorical General Surgery||1848440C0|
|One-Year Preliminary General Surgery||1848440P0|
Application Deadline: October 31, 2017.
Categorical Interview Dates
November 11, 2017
December 2, 2017
December 16, 2017
January 13, 2018
Application Process and Requirements
- USMLE scores (Part I and Part II) – first attempt on both:
USMLE Part 1 Score 220 >
USMLE Part 2 Score 220 >
- Recent medical school graduate (e.g., within the past four years)
- Our institution sponsors the J1 Visa
- No United States experience required for International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
- Electronic Application
- Medical School Transcript
- MSPE (Dean's Letter)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Wallet sized photo
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
*Although USMLE transcripts may appear as optional on the ERAS application, we require that these scores be included. You will need to request official transcripts from NBME be mailed to us through ERAS.
All materials must be sent in electronically. Applications are not considered until they are complete. Include an e-mail address with your application; we will respond to questions by e-mail.
Any questions or comments can be sent by e-mail to:
GME Program Coordinator
Division of General Surgery
Visiting the UK College of Medicine
On your interview date, you will be given a tour of the University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center and the hospital facilities. The Department of Surgery and the Division of General Surgery want your stay in Lexington to be informative and comfortable. If you are offered an interview you will receive more information. Life in the Bluegrass State provides opportunities on many levels.
You will find:
- solace in the beauty of nature – rolling hills, plentiful lakes and incredible horse farms
- inspiration in the arts, from handmade crafts to well-orchestrated musicals
- comfortable, affordable homes, whether they be historic or brand new
- an avid love of sports, particularly UK Wildcat basketball.
Lexington, Kentucky, known as the Horse Capital of The World, has a population of more than 400,000, the second largest city in Kentucky. Lexington is a great place to live, work and raise a family. For Information about the area, accommodations, dining and more, see visitlex.com.