Welcome to the Division of Healthcare Outcomes and Optimal Patient Services (HOOPS)
Our mission is to transform healthcare data into information that:
- Deepens knowledge of surgical diseases and outcomes;
- Improves decision-making regarding the structure, technology, providers, and processes of surgical care; and
- Provides feedback on the results of surgical innovation and improvement processes.
Our vision is optimal surgical outcomes
We value data-driven decision-making, learning and improvement, transparency, and responsiveness in addition to our common core values of diversity, innovation, respect, compassion and teamwork.
What we do:
- Manage data collection and internal/external reporting of risk-adjusted surgical outcomes for the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP, adults and children), and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Cardiac and General Thoracic databases.
- Act as a liaison to other sources of surgical outcomes data and data registries at UK Healthcare and nationally (Data warehouse, Financial Data, National Trauma Data Bank, Ky Cancer Registry, UNOS, VQI, CESQIP.)
- Provide methodological and data design consultation to students, residents and faculty wishing to do retrospective or series studies of surgical problems.
- Provide local historic and national benchmark surgical outcomes for educational, innovation, and quality improvement purposes. Provide local counts of patients and procedures for grant writing and clinical trial proposals.
- Use all of the above to disseminate new knowledge, improve decision making, and drive innovation towards optimal surgical patient care.